Sunday, April 20, 2008

a new mission....

...to find things other than food or drink to make me happy.

We've had a lovely weekend...a really relaxing weekend in the country with the in-laws staying in a converted church that they plan to retire in. There was no TV, so lots of time to otherwise fill! Today we went to a National Park, and it was so peaceful, looking right up at those trees that had been there for so long. I have long battled with food and drink....and started to think about what else might make me "happy" besides those things, and why those other things might be better.

Food and drink seem so temporary....and so meaningless in the long term. Yes they are enjoyable - i challenge anyone to disagree with me! But i sense that they are about hiding, and escapism, and avoidance.

So these other things...will they last longer? What will they build? What brings more permanent happiness? What are the other things for me?

- solitude....oh blessed silence!
- music, playing my piano, teaching, listening
- lack of clutter
- my kids
- God...in His purest form, in those 'soul' moments
- reading

Why are these things better than pure physical pleasures?

I suppose food and drink bring extra calories...and they just are what they are...but maybe these other things are about relationship, with me and with others. And maybe they last longer because they feed my soul, they help my soul to grow.

I think that escapism is fine at times...everyone needs to escape. But i want to face my problems and solve them and take action and not just run away. And i want to grow and evolve as a person, i want to make the most of my time on this planet, and especially the most of my short time with my beautiful children who are growing up way too fast.

How exciting...to face the days to come thinking about how i can be happy and relaxed and how i can enjoy each moment!

No comments: